Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Public Service Announcement

This is for everyone who lives in Massachusetts. And if you live elsewhere in the U.S. and have a car, you might want to check into it also, just in case.

(Yes, Lamont, we know you don't have a motorcar. Like Robinson Crusoe, you're as primitive as can be.)

Anywho….

Y'know those little plastic frames around license plates—the type car dealers put on your vehicle when you buy it to advertise their business. The ones most of us don't bother to take off after we drive off the lot out of sheer inertia?

Well, starting next month, they're illegal. Beginning in October, if you have one on your vehicle, it will automatically fail inspection. Your mechanic/inspector will not be allowed to ask you to take it off before inspection, you just automatically fail. (My mechanic is the one who told me about it this morning, and he thinks it stinks that he'll be put in the position of being a bad guy. And you just know people will go berserk when their cars fail over this.)

Beginning in October, you can also be stopped by police and fined $25 for having one of these on your license plate.

So go check your cars folks.

This has been today's public service announcement.

And now, a cat doing the Hamster Dance.

8 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

Holy cow. My mechanic actually put one of those things on my car to advertise HIS business.

Thanks, Ace Reporter!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Redbeard76 said...

Wha-Wha-What?? That is just pure silliness, sounds like something Sparkle would dream up! (No offence, doll.) ;)

So what if you're from out of state visiting and you have one of those thing on, and you get ticketed? Does it count or do they give you a warning?

(Luckily I don't have one of those on the car, but what if I went out and bought one of the for-sale types that said- oh for example - Boston Red Sox. Are those also illegal?)

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

I don't think it impacts out of state plates, just Massachusetts plates.

The reasoning behind it isn't crazy--the plastic frames can obscure information on the plates for police and the cameras on the MA Turnpike.

It's just the way they're going to enforce this that is loony.

And there has been zero PR about this to get the word out, unless I've missed something.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger I Ain't No Oprah said...

I heard they're also gonna start charging us .10 cents per email we send.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Redbeard76 said...

Only in the communistwealth, er I mean commonwealth of Massachusetts.

(Did I say that out loud?)

Maybe I should do a snopes on this PSA.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Redbeard76 said...

Ok Snopes says something similar about Texas but doesn't mention Massachusetts, see here ====> http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/texasplate.asp

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

This is true, folks. Why would I -- or my mechanic, for that matter -- make this up? (He showed me some of the paperwork the garage had received about it when we were chatting.)

Oh, and IANO? That 10-cents per e-mail thing? That's fake, except for you. You can just give me the 10-cents per e-mail and I'll make sure Uncle Sam gets it.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

I remember way back when the car dealers had these metal signs with their business logo on it. There were two holes already made in the car so the dealers could attach these when they'd finally sold the car.

I "caught" a dealer in the act of doing this, and told him to stop. Then I asked him how much he'd planned to pay me for advertising his business 24/7. Although I didn't say "24/7" because nobody used that expression back then. He was amazed and disappointed as I drove away with two pre-made holes in the rear end of my car.

(By the way: I'll be spending the next week or two reading all the blogs I haven't had time to read lately. This means I'll be making comments on old posts and pissing everybody off. Oh, what fun!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home