Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This Too Shall Pass

So last night Jak-El wanders into my office around 7:30 p.m.

Jak-El: Mom, I swallowed a marble.

Lois: What? Huh? You did what?

Jak-El: I swallowed a marble (holds hands to throat)

Lois: Really? Seriously? You're not playing? You really swallowed a marble?

Jak-El: Yeah….

Lois: Oh crap. (Actually, I said a much worse word. Several much worse words, to be precise.)

Jak-El: What do we do?

Lois: Well, I think we're going to be going to the hospital. Go find your shoes.

At this point, I run around in a panic to find the husband and tell him what happened.

Lois: Your oldest son just swallowed a marble.

Husband: Really? Oh crap. (Again, actually much worse word was used.)

I call the pediatrician's after hours line and they tell me the Doc will call back within 15 minutes. Phone rings shortly.

Doc: Hi. How ya doin?

Lois: Oh, we've been better.

Doc: Is he breathing okay?

Lois: Yeah. He says he feels fine but his throat hurts a bit.

Doc: What kind of a marble was it? Was it glass? Was there paint on it? We might need to be worried about lead.

Lois: Honey, do you know if the marble was made of glass? Plastic?

Jak-El: It's green.

Lois: Doc, it's green. (At this point, Doc starts to laugh.) Yes, I know this is useless information.

Doc: Just for the heck of it, ask him why he did it.

Lois: Sweetie, why did you swallow the marble?

Jak-El: I wanted to do a trick.

Lois: He says he wanted to do a trick.

Doc: (laughing) Well, he did!

We talk for a few more minutes, and decide a trip to the ER for an x-ray is in order, just to make sure it isn't stuck in his throat.

We drive over to the ER and wait a half hour to check in, and then another 20 minutes to see a triage nurse. Another 20 minutes later, the boy gets an x-ray and we clearly see the marble has made its way to his stomach.

Lois: So in clinical terms, he just needs to poop it out.

X-Ray Tech: Yep.

Jak-El: What's going on?

X-Ray Tech: You'll be fine. The marble will come out on its own.

Jak-El: It's gonna come all the way up and out of my mouth?

Lois: No hon. The other end.

Jak-El: My ear?

Lois: Your butt. You'll poop it out.

Jak-El: Really? (starts laughing)

We wait another 25 minutes or so to be seen by a pediatrician. During this time, Jak-El proudly tells anyone who will listen that he will soon poop out a marble. Finally, we're seen by the ped, who tells us that, yes, he needs to poop it out. And then we wait another 45 minutes for paperwork and a popsicle. (For Jak-El. I didn't get one. Next time, I'm asking for a damn popsicle too.)

To sum up:

1. The new ER at Newton-Wellesley Hospital is much nicer than the old ER.

2. My son now thinks that marbles are bad.

3. Don't put toys in your mouth.

7 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Cake said...

So to sum up a little more:

Jak-El has a GREAT story for his classmates and friends now!

(Glad he's okay...and here: ::passes Lois a popsicle::)

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

Hell of a good trick. Better than anything Copperfield came up with.

(YIKES!!!! So glad everything is okay.)

I went to that ER once after a modern dance accident.* People were very friendly. There was a sort of "ER hostess" who kept tellin' me how long it'd be!

*Yep. Yikes.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Cake:
Mmmm..orange!

Sparkle:
Please to be posting about the "modern dance accident," thank you.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Cake said...

Lois:

I just got to watch the Sarah Palin video (oh my god!!! OH MY GOD!) and your Lois TV (AWESOME!).

(I left comments but it's been pointed out to me before that nobody looks at comments on older posts and so...here ya be.)

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger I Ain't No Oprah said...

I just ate an apple.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,

Kids do the darndest things.

Poo stories are so popular at school at this age.

Take 2 sedatives and call me in the morning.

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marbleous!

Oh well, at least he didn't shove it up his nose (or his brother's for that matter).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home