Thursday, October 23, 2008

Curse You, Squirrels!

Last year, the little bastards at least had the decency to wait until after Halloween to make our pumpkin into a buffet.

Yesterday, I walked out on to my porch to discover that this year, they apparently couldn't wait.





Just for the heck of it, before posting this I went out and checked again. Apparently, they had brunch.



We need to come up with a plan and fast. Here are some of our ideas so far:

1. Build an electric fence. The husband thinks it would be funny to see the little critters hanging off of it.

2. Build a force field. Unfortunately, as Jak-El pointed out: "You need a scientist to do that. And we're not scientists."

3. Post signs alerting squirrels to the much tastier--and possibly chocolate!--pumpkins on neighbor's porch.

4. Kill one squirrel with a chainsaw, as a warning to other squirrels. (I don't think Jak-El has really thought this idea through.)

5. Teleport squirrels to (a) an alternate dimension, (b) New Hampshire, or (c) the future, where they'd have to fight robot squirrels.

6. Gesture wildly at squirrels, while yelling empty threats at them in a bad Italian accent. "You a' squirrels, you a' stop a' eatin' my a' pumpkins, or I'ma' gonna make a' you into a squirrel risotto."

Anyone have any better ideas?

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

And I didn't mention that there are 3 pumpkins and the little @$$h*les took bites out of EACH ONE!!!!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Cake said...

Dear Lois:

I'm very sorry about that. Those are clearly the squirrels that were eating my cherry tomatoes...I used my magical powers to wish them to an alternate dimension but the Red Sox were on tv and so I must've gotten my wires crossed and sent 'em to Boston.

Mea culpa.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

Uh-oh. Trouble with squirrels? Why do I feel guilty about this?

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

I like the chainsaw. Such a clever boy.

Teleport them on to a Klingon ship!

But more practical is to boil onions and garlic in a pot. make a garlic/onion tea. Than spray pumpkins with tea.

A organic farmer game me this tip recently. I will use it next year. Most animals don't like the taste of onions and garlic.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

The husband was very proud of Jak-El for the chainsaw idea too. "Smart kid. He's more like me every day" was the exact quote.

I've read that cayenne pepper on the pumpkins works as a deterrent too.

I'm just worried that all these seasonings will make the pumpkins tastier for the squirrels. :-)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Cake: Ah, mixed magical signals. That would explain the squirrel I saw running across the field during the last Sox/Rays playoff game too.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

A Thompson machine gun, 1920s style. Or napalm.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

These squirrels aren't black, are they?

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

David: Haven't actually seen them in the act, so I don't know what color they are. Of course, I do assume they are Republicans. Good Democrat squirrels would never do anything like this.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

I'm just hoping that the black squirrels aren't taking over here, like they have been in England.

http://davidzrantz.blogspot.com/2008/04/time-scurries-on.html

Maybe you should invest in a Wilderness Camera like Sparkle has, to see what you're up against. Then buy the napalm. You can probably get it really cheap at Wal-Mart.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

I know what "@$$h*les" means. Just sayin'. Bad Lois.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

David: Shhhhh! Just because you figured it out doesn't mean everyone else will.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Them black squirrels are crafty little buggers, aren't they? One of my friends was attacked by an albino squirrel once. It was pretty funny. (You had to be there to really appreciate it...this was the kind of friend that deserves to be attacked by an albino squirrel.)

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger I Ain't No Oprah said...

Have Dr. Who do some of his magic (or whatever it is Dr. Who does) to the squirrels.

Maybe zap them with his Sonic Tard or something.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Sounds like IANO's as big a Dr. Who fan as I am.

And Lois? I can't speak for you, but I don't often use "friend" in the same sentence as "deserves to be attacked." Just sayin'.

Maybe you and I should keep things between us at the level of those chance meetings at the nerd shoppe, to be safe.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Cake said...

IANO is a Sonic Tard, pass it on...

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Just as long as you don't spray them with cinnamon and nutmeg you should be fine.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

David: If you knew the person in question, you'd understand.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Okay, then. Napalm for everyone!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger bacon ace said...

"And I didn't mention that there are 3 pumpkins and the little @$$h*les took bites out of EACH ONE!!!!"

These aren't squirrels Lois. Goldilocks has fallen on hard times. Pity her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home