Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

I've been feeling kinda lousy for a few days (a combination of a sore throat and my sciatica acting up. yes, I know that sounds like an old person's disease, but I started having problems with my sciatic nerves during my first pregnancy, so bugger off. I'm old, but I'm not that old. Okay, maybe I am. Fetch me a latte and my walker and then get out of my yard.)

Anyway, the sciatica has been making it really hard to sleep, so since I was feeling a bit better last night I decided to turn in early. Thankfully, I dozed right off....and then woke up suddenly an hour later.

Since the kids were born, I have a hair trigger wake up reflex. I hear a weird sound in the distance, but have no clue what it is. I turn down the volume on the TV (I always fall asleep with the TV on), but the sound is still going on.

I lie there and try to figure out what it is. It isn't a cat, and it isn't a kid. Dammit. I'm going to have to get out of bed and figure out what it is.

I stumble down the hallway. First stop, Dan-El's room. Nope, it's not in there.

Next, I stumble down to Jak-El's room. Yep, the sound is definitely here. It's...what the hell is it? It isn't coming from the bins of action figures or the closet. It's....oh crap. It's the damn Leapfrog pad. One of the cats must have jumped up on the desk and turned it on. How the hell do I shut this off? Where's the button? Arragh! It's playing the same damn song over and over and over! Where's the frickin' button?

Ah. There it is. Blessed silence

Jak-El, of course, doesn't even stir. I stumble back to bed and pass out.

To sum up:

Mom hearing is not a good superpower. Flight would be better. Or maybe the ability to turn stale bread into Girl Scout/Guide cookies. But this hearing thing bites.

11 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger I Ain't No Oprah said...

I kinda thought you were pregnant again but didn't want to say anything.

Congratulations!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Very funny. Ha ha. No cookies this week for you, template redesign boy!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Cake said...

Your hair looks lovely and is that a new shirt? It's really nice!

(Can I have his cookies?)

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Why, thank you Miss Cake! Extra cookies for you!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

Hello, Lois! You are feeling lousy? Then, it is my job to try to make you laugh. Let me try this. Please alert me if this does not work, and I shall try again.

Rotten Names for Little Girls That Sound Like They Might Have Been Real Names for Little Girls in the Victorian Era and Might Also Turn Up As the Names of Angry Young Women On Judge Joe Brown...Part I

a) Sciatica
b) Dementia
c) Chlamydia
d) Alopecia

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Cake said...

Yay! Cookies!

p.s.
Hope you're feeling better... sounds like the last few days have been zero fun.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Hey Sparkle! That did indeed make me laugh!

And my great great Aunt Dementia thought it was funny too!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Here's a double-barreled solution to prevent this from happening in the future:

1. Children can be kept snug as a bug in a rug with the simple combination of duct tape and a deadbolt lock on their closet doors. Once the little darlings are tucked away for the night, you'll KNOW that any noises in the house are caused by something BAD.

2. Knowing this, you can confidently sneak to the darkened room from which the offending sound emanates, carrying the handgun you normally keep beside your bed. When you get to the room in question, do not alarm the trouble-maker by turning on a light! No, no... Instead, just blast away toward the sound -- you're bound to hit something -- and then go right back to bed, and a good night's sleep. (After caling the police, if necessary.)

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

David's my new hero!

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Redbeard76 said...

Yes Lois! Join the resistance! Don't be a lemming and change your template just because everyone else is doing it. Didn't anyone's mother ever say "just because your friends are jumping off a bridge doesn't mean you have to."? Exactly.

 
At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sci-at-i-ca! Sci-at-i-ca! Sci-at-i-ca!"

"You think I'd sell 'em out for fudge!?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home