Friday, May 16, 2008

Mammy!

Lois: I’m getting a mammogram on Friday.

Husband: Do they ever go back to normal after they do that?

Lois: I had one done last year.

Husband: Like I said, do they ever go back to normal?

Lois: Smartass.


Yep, since everyone seems to enjoy the talk about the boobies, today we’ll be discussing mammograms.

They’re definitely not as much fun as a candygram, but it’s really not that bad. It isn’t something I’d like to have done every week, but it’s not as horrible as some people would make it out to be. Just uncomfortable and weird.

So anyway…

I dashed off to the hospital, barely giving myself enough time to find a space in the crowded parking lot. I figured there was no point in getting there early, as I’d have to wait.

Surprise—I walk into the Women’s Imaging Center and am immediately ushered into the back, where I change into one of them oh-so-stylish hospital gowns. I look in the mirror and notice that I’m dressed like a 14 year old boy—black jeans, Chuck Taylors and a Batman t-shirt. (It would be really odd to make a 14 year old boy have a mammogram, wouldn’t it? I’ll have to put that on to list of things I can do to mentally scar my kids when they’re teenagers.)

Then it’s off to the waiting room, where I peruse a copy of Martha Stewart Living and find a recipe for chicken with lemons and potatoes, that I need to look up online later, because it sounded yummy.

Suddenly, a woman appears with a tray of beverages and snacks, offering them around like we’re guests at a dinner party. (A quick look at the tray shows no gin or whiskey, so I decline.) A nice, but odd touch. Sort of like when the same hospital gave me a $25 gift certificate for the cafeteria because the OR was running late so my C-section would be a bit behind schedule. I think they’re trying to win a customer service award or something.

By now, you’re probably annoyed that boobs haven’t been discussed more. And you’re right, you were promised boobs, so let’s talk about boobs.

A minute later, I’m whisked into the Mammoroom (okay, it wasn’t called the Mammoroom, but it should be.) I’m asked a bunch of basic identifying questions, so the hospital won’t get sued for squeezing the wrong gal’s pom poms, I guess. And then the fun begins.

Off with the top. Woo-hoo!

The technician has me rest my boob in the machine, and then crushes it. I don’t look down. I don’t wanna see. Bad enough what my damn kids did to em’, I don’t need to see this.

The nice technician and I discuss her pregnancy (she’s 8 months along and hoping that her own boobs go back to normal someday too), and plastic surgery (her friend is getting a tummy tuck next week and saving up for a boob lift, to repair the damage her kids incurred on her body) and the fact that my husband is a smartass.

Both my boobs are squeezed in a variety of positions, and x-rayed for my permanent record, and then I put my top back on and go on my merry way.

To sum up: normally, I usually make guys buy me dinner first before they get to do this. But for women in a lab coat, I’m easy.

Happy Friday!

Oh, and because Cake asked for it, Friday Dance Party Song! Everyone, shake your pom poms!

18 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Back in the 19th century, they had all sorts of terms for people who were of mixed race. Someone who was half White and half Black, for example, was a Mulatto. Someone with one-quarter Black ancestry was a Quadroon. Someone with one-eighth Black ancestry was an Octoroon. But if your Black ancestor wasn't really Black, but was, instead, Al Jolson, wearing blackface makeup, you were a Mammoroon. This has absolutely nothing to do with Mammoroom, of course, which ends with an "M" and not an "N." I just thought I'd share with you.

By the way, there was also a mix of Irish and Black, called a Macaroon. These people are not to be confused with the so-called Black Irish.

Okay, I'm done.

The End

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Cake said...

I had to explain Black Irish to someone the other day...they were quite disappointed that it wasn't what it sounded like.

So then they asked what a black person was called who lived in Ireland.

Afririshman?

The conversation deteriorated from there and got a lot more silly.

That rarely happens with me, you understand. I just thought I'd share that with you.

The end.

p.s.
Dance, people, dance! ::pours the infrastructure::

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Cake said...

p.s.
Now I want a macaroon...err, the coconut-based cookie, not the made-up human being. Oh never mind.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Anyone else remember the golden age adventures of Afririshman and his sidekick Macaroon, the boy wonder?

No? Me neither.

Infrastructure, people, infrastructure!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Ishat's Fire and Ice said...

Love Rock Lobster.

I remember when I was just barely a teen. My uncle asked me what I wanted for Christmas that year. My answer was the B-52 album. He never heard of these B-52s. Thus he questioned my sanity or if I was just putting him on.

I must explain said uncle was also in his teens, later teens, but still in his teens. What can I say, my family has liked sex for , well, generations, and so the fruits of such labors have been plentifully.

Anyway, slightly older uncle than me, who was only into rock hadn't a bloody clue what I was on about.

But he bought it for me anyway. The uncles and aunts insisted to hear what B-52s sounded like. Guess what song I played them on their turn table? Yup, this very one. They ran within the first minute.

And I learned an important lesson. Music can be fun and make the 'grumps' run away. And I knew I was on to something good. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with your kids.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me I have to call the squish-pom-poms-on-cold-piece-of-glass people. Hey, I don't get snack carts! I want to go to your squishy people!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

HA! Mammorooooooooooooom!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

First there was Sparkle, with her poison ivy boobie horror story.

Then Ishat's Fire's multi-part herstory of the Devil's Pom-Poms.

Then Lois Lane's Mammoroom Mammaries... I mean, Mammaroom Memories.

And I'm sure I've forgotten someone else's booby post.

Okay, ladies, you win. I've finally posted my own BoobBlog.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Jayne said...

I never get offered snacks on a tray where I go to be looked at. Although I never mind if the young medical students have a good gawp.

I don't think boobs are deigned to ever get back to normal after kids have messed about with them. I mean our own kids, not kids in general. That would just be weird.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Umm.... I don't know how to break this to you, Jayne, but having your own kids messing about with your boobs can be weird, too, depending upon the exact circumstances.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

David has obviously never had children.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

No, Lois, I haven't (although I did help raise two almost-step-kids), but I was thinking that when your kids mess with your boobs lomg after they've reached adulthood... That's weird.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

"Long," not "lomg," obviously.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

What if the Beatles couldn't spell?

The Lomg and Winding Road

Lomg Tall Sally

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

FIND: What if the Beatles couldn't spell?

REPLACE: What if the Beatles made perfectly innocent & understandable typographical errors?

[about to hit "Publish Your Comment" button, realizes he forgot to write "So there!"]

So there!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Cake said...

Oh good, nobody's eating books over here. Whew.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lois:

What, no "Lorng, Lorng, Lorng"?

Poor George.

-- Lamont "L'Angelo Misterioso" Cranston

 

Post a Comment

<< Home