Thursday, May 01, 2008

Travelin' Gal

(I returned home last night after a business trip. I actually did write a post between conference sessions, but problems with the hotel's WiFi meant I couldn't get online to actually post the post. So…..here's the brilliance I wrote in Chicago, with director's commentary after the fact in italics.)

I'm in Chicago on business. I caught a 6 am flight out of Logan, which I had to get up at 3:45 to catch. 3:45 am in Boston is 2:45 am in Chicago. And I didn't go to bed until midnight. And then I woke up every 30 minutes or so, because I was worried that I wouldn't get up in time to catch my flight.

So I'm very, very sleepy.

(I'm usually very, very sleepy. So what else is new?)

I'm writing this between conference sessions.

This will be a very random post.

I would really like some Fritos right now.

(Later that afternoon, I did indeed procure Fritos, but didn't have time to eat them before going out to dinner. I did eat them for breakfast the next morning, because I didn't have any other food in my room (aside from a candy bar), there was no room service and I didn't feel like getting dressed and going out. An hour after eating the Fritos, I felt very queasy. To sum up: eating Fritos before 9 a.m. is not a good idea.)

I just listened to a speaker who reminded me a lot of an older version Barney from "How I Met Your Mother." I kept waiting for him to say the strategy he was discussing was—wait for it—awesome.

(Has anyone seen the new "Harold and Kumar" movie? Is it any good?)

During the session he showed a clip from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" to illustrate a point. He preceded the clip by saying that women don't normally like or get the appeal of the Pythons. This made me want to hit him over the head with a shrubbery.

Of course, I want to hit a lot of conference speakers over the head with shrubbery.

(Heh. I actually went to another conference locally this morning, to see a friend give a presentation. I was so happy when he asked me to take off and forgo the afternoon sessions and get lunch instead. Playing hooky is fun.)

I'm wearing a new jacket. I like it a lot. I like it so much I'd go so far to say it is a jaunty jacket.

During the break, they did not serve any caffeinated beverages. This was very rude of them.

A woman was riding a Segway through the hotel lobby this morning. I want a Segway.

But not as much as I want Fritos.

(I never want Fritos ever, ever again.)

And whiskey.

(I had a shot of scotch after dinner that night, 12 year old Macallan to be exact. Whiskey is awesome.)

9 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Redbeard76 said...

It was the inner bad fairy that craved the whiskey, wasn't it...

(I can't wait to see the new Harold and Kumar!)

I'm craving some Jamesons now.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

1) I LOVE director's commentary!!! If we're really, really good, can we see the outtakes, too?
2) HEY! Did you get to Logan before the SECURITY PEOPLE got to Logan? That happened the last time I had a 6:00 a.m. flight. They came slowly ambling in about 20 minutes before my flight. (Ya know, slowly--but with gimlet gazes like they knew I had nail scissors in my carry-on. Not that I did. That time.)
3) Welcome home!!! Hope you get some rest.
4) I crave Fritos.
5) "Women normally don't like or get the appeal of the Pythons"? INFIDEL!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Hiya Redbeard!

Jamesons is awesome too. But it gives me a headache the next morning. Scotch just makes me eat Fritos for breakfast.

Hiya Sparkle!

Outtakes? The whole damn thing is an outtake. But if you hit the F4 button on your keyboard three times, and simultaneously pat your head and rub your tummy, you can see the Spanish subtitles, David Tennant's video diary on the making of this blog and the never before aired animated "This Just In" pilot, starring the voice of Justine Bateman as Lois Lane.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger The Silver Fox said...

Lois, Sparkle: The only women who "get the appeal of the Pythons" are the type of women who frequent nerd (or geek)stores. But that's okay! That's a good thing! This is a better class of women, because they understand and even sleep with (sometimes) the type of guys that frequent nerd (or geek) stores. And if these wonderful women didn't exist, the nerds & geeks would die out completely.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Hiya David!

There may be some truth to what you say. While I didn't marry a comic nerd, I did marry a D&D/sci-fi nerd (who is also a programmer--kinda of a nerd trifecta goin' on there). And if you've met my kids you know I've done my part to keep the nerd population going.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Cake said...

That was awesome, Lois...sometimes you write something that I could've written and I can't help but think we'd be trouble at the same conference.

p.s.
You know what I have to say to the guy who said gals don't get Monty Python humour? Ni! Ni ni! And also...your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Pass those messages on for me, wouldja? Thanks!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no. Women get and appreciate Python.

It's the Three Stooges and Benny Hill they don't like.

Well, except for Benny Hill.

And Shemp.

Woo woo woo!

-- Lamont "Curley Lamont" Cranston

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Hiya Cake!

Maybe we should have a bloggers conference...I can just imagine the agenda...

1-1:15 p.m.: Proper use of the words "Poop" and "Boob"

1:15-3:30 p.m.: Infrastructure break.

3:30-3:45 p.m.: Hoagy: Man or Myth?

3:45-midnight: Infrastructure

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Hiya Lamont!

That is true. I especially hate Merli Joe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home