Monday, November 19, 2007

Cooking With Lois

Since here in the U.S. we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday, I thought it would be fitting to share a few recipes that you can bring to your holiday table.

Note that I will not be giving you advice on how to cook a turkey, because:

(a) The good folks at Butterball need to have something to do. And,

(b) I've never cooked a turkey.

I've cooked chickens and Cornish game hens, and every side dish necessary for a Thanksgiving feast, but never turkeys. The prospect has always been a little intimidating to me, and as we're always invited someplace for dinner it hasn’t been necessary. As we have a voucher for a free turkey from the market, I may actually attempt cooking one next weekend, but that's a story for another day.

(I should add that there is a family precedent for turkey-ineptness. One Thanksgiving when I was a kid, my mom put the oven on "broil" instead of "bake." This is a great technique if you want a lovely golden skin on the bird, and the inside meat raw. We ate a lot of mashed potatoes and pie that day.)

Anyway, here is today’s recipe.

Indian Rainbow Pudding

level of difficulty: high

Ingredients:
* one snack pack of butterscotch pudding
* one handful of M&Ms

1. Open container of pudding.
2. Drop M&Ms into pudding.
3. Mix.
4. Enjoy!

I was first shown how to create this masterpiece on a Girl Scout camping trip when I was about 10 years old. It didn't occur to me until several years later that this couldn't possibly have been something eaten by the Indians during Pilgrim time, because they didn't have M&Ms. And it didn't occur to me until years after that that they didn't have snack packs of butterscotch pudding either.

5 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger bacon ace said...

Lois,
Let us all know when this turkey's being cooked up. And hey, if you fuck it up just call it "cajun style" and nobody will know the difference.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said...

Will do. Should I wrap it in bacon?

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Sparkle Plenty said...

Dammit! I knew I should have cowboyed up and joined the Girl Scouts rather than cowering in a corner during my formative years.

Did you get a badge for making indian rainbow pudding? If so, maybe it's not too late for me to become a girl scout 'cause I think I can make that stuff.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Cake said...

It's 12:15 and I'm about to go to bed ...and all I want is GODDAMN RAINBOW PUDDING!

Damn you, Lane, damn you! ::shakes fist::

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

::squeezes rainbow pudding::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home